Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thought pondering on politics

I am honestly not a political type of person. I rather leave the choice of who to vote for up to the one whose leadership I am under (for right now it is my father, someday it'll be my husband). I do listen to talk radio (rarely), and try to stay informed on major political things (I can at least tell you who is running for president and who I wish was not running for president), but sometimes everything can get a little boring as well as frustrating (you kind of want to shake people up and say, " Don't you see what is happening in America?!)!
Well, after reading an article tonight on Obama I just had to post a few thoughts.

I was happened to be on a website this evening as I signed out of my email account that had several news headlines.The headline that grabbed my attention was the subject:Barrack Obama Gives Daughter $1 Allowance a Week. I clicked on it and went to the PEOPLE'S magazine (online). Here is a little clip taken off the website.

Do you give your girls an allowance?
Michelle: Sorta, kinda. [Laughs]
Barack: I'm out of town all the time, so Malia will say, "Hey, you
owe me 10 weeks!" ... Originally, we were giving her a dollar a week as long as she did all her chores. It turns out that she's been doing her chores even without prompting from the allowance, which makes me feel guilty that she's been carrying on her end of the bargain and I haven't been as consistent. The last part is what caught my attention -how will he stay consistent as president?????? He just said that he wasn't consistent. Anyway, my thought: If he can't be trusted out of office, he can't be trusted in office (and that goes for a lot of people!).

From YAHOO news online posted back in June:

"Folks haven't been reading their Bibles,"
Obama said.

(Isn't that the truth! If everyone took the advice of Obama and begin reading through their Bibles, they wouldn't vote for Obama which means that those words will have cost him the election- especially if after reading the Bible people were convicted and humbled themselves falling on their knees crying out to the Lord for forgiveness, we may see this upcoming November election take a turn for the good and this nation turned back to God. The fate of America and the American people is truly at the hands of her people and the mercy of God).

Anyway, as you can see I'm not a very political person. I just wish people would wake up and see the truth and know what is really happening in America and will happen if we do not turn back to the Lord. Sigh. Sometimes I feel like Esther and wonder why God has me living nowadays, but I suppose it is "for such a time as this".... We never know how God will use us for His glory.

One last thing, the meaning of the word: 'Politics' - 'poly' meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'blood-sucking creatures.'

4 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

The whole thing makes me bothered. It almost makes me sorry to vote at all, but I guess we must choose the lesser of two evils. Obama is defiantly the greatest of the two evils. I imagine that Obama must be a very deep person with lots to hide. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I am a Bible-believing Christian who submits to her husband. As a woman, it is absolutely my responsibility to educate myself and vote responsibly and not leave that up to my husband or my father. That is the wrong application of submission scripturally.

You have an obligation to educate yourself and apply that education toward a responsible vote.

Amber said...

Dear anonymous,

You're right; a woman needs to educate herself, and believe things for herself. Heather and I both listen to the debates going on around us and make decisions in our hearts.

But, on the other hand, we've never even considered voting against our father. Thankfully, we're all on the same page, and I could almost promise that we'll always agree politically, so it's not a big deal.

But when I look at families in which the husband votes for one person, and the wife votes for the other, I think "what's the deal with that?" They cancel each other out. The wife makes the husband's voice of none effect. That's not my idea of biblical unity in a marriage.

I'm sure it would be a hard place to be in, if your husband or father was voting for someone you couldn't - in good conscience - vote for. (I'm not saying that's your situation, I'm just supposing that it's hard for anyone.) Thankfully we've never had that problem in our family. We are proud to support our father in the way he chooses to vote. We back him 100%, and we always ask him who he's voting for, because it carries enormous weight with us. Perhaps we could get a little more involved in finding out details - I tend to get a bit lazy, because I trust Dad so much. But we do think think for ourselves. And we also try to conduct ourselves in a way that honors our father.

I think that's all Heather was trying to say.

~ Heather's Sister

Heather said...

Hello my dear anonymous guest!
Thank you for the post. I know exactly what you are saying. It is our responsibity as Christian women to educate ourselves - we need to gain knowledge and think things for ourselves without relying on husbands/fathers to make our decisions for us (trust me, I do have the freedom to make my own decisions), but we are also able to talk things over with them and to learn from their wisdom.

When I say, "I rather leave the choice of who to vote for up to the one whose leadership I am under (for right now it is my father, someday it'll be my husband)."

That means that I will seek out their godly wisdom along with my own Biblical convictions seek the Lord when I consider who to vote for - does that make sense?

I seek their wisdom and respect their decisions, but yes, the choice of who I vote for is completely up to me. As I said in the post, I do educate myself in what is going on - I try to stay up to date as much as possible. We will be held accountable who we vote for.

I'm sorry the post wasn't clear and after rereading through it I see where you are coming from (as you can see that is the reason I don't post stuff on politics... *smile*). Because when I saw your post I said to myself - how did she get that out of what I wrote??? Then after rereading it I could see where you are coming from. Oops...my fault - lack of communication. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I'm sleepy right now so who knows if this reply even makes sense.....I sure hope so!
Thanks again for the post and for visting my blog.
Have a wonderful evening!
~Heather