Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hair, Hives, Home, & Happiness!

It has been a while since I last posted, so here is a random post on:
Hair, Hives, Home, & Happiness!

Life here has been a mix between busy/calm lately which is always a good thing.



HAIR-

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of Curly Girl, but those of you that have wavy or curly hair should check out this website on hair from Young Ladies Christian Fellowship (click to go to website). I have been using the conditioner only hair wash for probably almost a year now. Please leave me a comment and let me know what you think of their site and what hair styling tips you use on your hair.



HIVES!!!! -

I strongly dislike hives! On Tuesday night I was getting ready for bed at about 9pm (planning on getting to bed a little earlier than normal), when all of a sudden my back started to itch. Now, when my back starts itching I know I'm in trouble because pretty soon my entire body is covered with many red hive bumps that make me itch like crazy!!!! Well, I have had hives several times before, but I have never had such a bad breakout as I did on Tuesday - it was horrible! Oh well for the idea of getting an early, good night's sleep....it took me 'til after midnight to stop itching. I looked up some websites for home remedies for hives and did a mixture of all the things different websites said to try - I took benedryl as well as some zinc and vitamin C, and finally ended up soaking in a corn starch/baking soda mixture and drinking some tea to calm down the nerves. The cause: I'm not sure, but I think I'll blame it on some blueberry yogert that I had after supper. I believe that some berries will cause me to get hives, but I don't break out with hives regularly after eating a certain berry - it's so strange. Does anyone have good ideas or home remedies to use while dealing with a hive breakout???
I'm starting to itch just thinking about the hives.......it's time to move on to the next H.

HOME-

Well, this week we have been busy doing some touch up painting jobs around the outside of the house, which has been a lot of fun. Everyone has helped out by painting the shutters around the house. It's a great family summer project! We really need rain here as it has been so dry lately - the grass crunches under your feet as you walk. We are continuing to get a good bunch of tomatoes from the garden. Isn't it funny how in the winter/early spring you start wishing for a fresh, ripe, juicey, home-grown tomato for a nice tomato sandwich and by time summer comes and August arrives you start tiring of eating tomato sandwiches every day.
Recipe: I decided to create a new sandwich this week (probably not very healthy, but it did taste good!).... 1 grilled cheese sandwich with a couple slices of tomato and a fried egg added to the middle of the sandwich. I love grilled cheese with tomato slices and I love ketshup on my eggs - therefore the combo was actually quite good.

Happiness!

I'm really happy right now- this month has been wonderful! I am currently plugging away at my studies and loving it!!! I'm so happy to be able to have this time to study and it is seriously fun to get back learning after not studying for a couple years. I'm happy to have extra time to read missionary biographies (a friend of mine actually just let me borrow a couple books today- one is on John G. Patton & John Bunyan), and spend more time with my family.

One last note:

Last night at church we went through Romans 8. The main verse was Romans 8:28 -

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

It was such an encouraging passage - knowing that God's plan is perfect and that everything that happens is for a purpose for those of us that love God. The happiest place for a Christian is in the center of God's will.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been using the curly girl method for about a month or two now and it's the best method I've ever tried on my hair. My hair loves it!